Global News Exclusive
Panasonic Witnesses Groundbreaking Ceremony for Its First Fully Integrated Solar Factory in Malaysia
- Dato' Haji Mohamed Taulan Mat Rasul, Kedah Exco for Religious Affairs, Education and Cooperative (L) and Panasonic Asia Pacific's Managing Director Yorihisa Shiokawa (R) Performs the Ceremonial Groundbreaking
Panasonic's HIT® (Heterojunction with Intrinsic Thin-layer) solar modules offering world's top level conversion efficiency and the excellent feature of temperature dependence that ensures more power generation even at high summer temperatures, will be penetrating into the global market even more strongly this year. Today, Panasonic Energy Malaysia Sdn. Bhd., the solar manufacturing company that Panasonic established in Malaysia last year, witnessed a groundbreaking ceremony and exchanged the Land Lease Agreement on the manufacturing base with the Kedah state government. Commencing construction immediately, the facility aims to start its operation by December 2012 to manufacture HIT® solar modules.
See the news flash by our Panasonic News Portal reporter to see how Panasonic is spearing ahead.
- Panasonic News Portal Reporter Viktoriya Reports from Malaysia
At the new base, fully integrated manufacturing of solar wafers, cells, and modules with an estimated annual production capacity of 300MW will be conducted. This new base will not only help Panasonic increase solar module production and meet the market demand, but also strengthen cost competitiveness by setting up Panasonic's first integrated production of wafers, cells, and modules. Moreover Panasonic will sell its solar modules not only individually but also in a system with storage batteries and other devices. Further, Panasonic will accelerate its solar business development globally in collaboration with Comprehensive Energy Solutions Business brought together by the Panasonic group companies.
At the ceremony, Panasonic officials noted the significance and anticipation for the new factory.
- Masato Ito, President, Energy Company of Panasonic Corporation
Masato Ito, President, Energy Company of Panasonic Corporation, said, "Thanks to the tremendous support from the Malaysian government, we are able to hold this groundbreaking ceremony today. Once the new manufacturing facility starts running, our production capacity will be 1.5 times greater than at present. And with the facility at the core, we hope to continuously contribute to the development of Malaysia, as well as further expanding our business globally."
- Tetsuhiro Maeda, Vice President, Energy Company of Panasonic Group
Tetsuhiro Maeda, Vice President, Energy Company of Panasonic Group, stated, "Panasonic Group is focused on building a competitive global energy business. With Panasonic Energy Malaysia serving as our new solar manufacturing base, we are confident that it will accelerate our solar business development globally and expand our total energy solution capacity. This new facility with a fully integrated production capability of solar wafers, cells and modules, will also realize a production structure that is best suited for the global market."
In addition, the Malaysian government also commented on the occasion.
Dato' Seri Ustaz Azizan Abdul Razak, Kedah State Menteri Besar, said about the new manufacturing base construction, "With growing environmental awareness, the expectation for solar power generation is rising worldwide. Based on the close and friendly relationship we have built with Panasonic Corporation, the Kedah state and Malaysian government will support its new manufacturing base and solar business, which I believe will create new job opportunities and will lead to further economic development of Malaysia."
With increasing environmental awareness globally and the introduction of subsidy systems as well as Feed-in-Tariff schemes in various countries, the solar market is predicted to grow further. Robust demand is expected particularly in the residential sector, the main target area of Panasonic HIT® solar modules.
Outline of the New Company
- Company Name: Panasonic Energy Malaysia Sdn. Bhd.
- Location: Kulim Hi-Tech Park, Kedah, Malaysia
- Establishment: December 2011 (production scheduled to start in December 2012)
- Capital: 0.92 billion ringgit (Approx. 22.5 billion yen) (1MYR=24.45JPY)
- Capital Subscription: Panasonic Asia Pacific Pte. Ltd. 100%
- Outline of Business: Production of HIT® solar modules (integrated production of wafers, cells and modules)
- Building Area: Approx. 70,000 m2
- Number of Employees: Approx. 1,500
- Annual Production Capacity: 300MW